Sunday, April 5, 2015

Street Vending Firsts

"Presenting my creations to the public is so utterly exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. I can feel this is going to be a very important experience for me as a maker"  I wrote this little note to myself on Friday before rushing from work to get ready to sell at Oakland's First Friday event.  It may be surprising, but this was my first time selling my jewelry as a vendor in this environment. I have previously only made sales on Etsy, through networking at my day job and selling to people I know.  When I made my first sale to a total stranger who bought a bar of  my "bicycle" soap, I was elated! I had the most fun connecting with customers, handing out my card and telling people about my products.
My boyfriend (pictured on his phone) came with.  Having someone there to help set up, go buy a bandaid when I randomly cut my hand, and buy dinner at  a nearby booth, was super helpful. He even scoped out other vendors and recommended I go check a certain jewelry maker out- as she had just opened a mobile jewelry store in an old food truck! I highly recommend having a buddy when possible at outdoor events like these. All in all I had a complete blast and am now addicted to street vending.  I'm looking for other venues to sell now and will post more about that later!


No comments:

Post a Comment