Friday, April 10, 2015

Inspiration



We are affected, on some level,  by everything we see.  Sometimes I don't even know what exactly has inspired me when I sit down to express a creative idea.  Its good practice to consciously contemplate who inspires our work.  So in the name of creativity, I want to share some of the artists who inspire my work!
* * *

In 2008, I managed a furniture store -Therapy- in the Mission in San Francisco.  I moved to SF at age 22 and was being exposed to all these art mediums and amazing work by talented designers. When I came across a Lotta Jansdotter print in the shop, I was amazed by the beauty and simplicity of her designs, and the reoccurring theme of nature in her work (flowers, plants, and organic shapes often appear in her prints).
image from: http://windhamfabsnipits.typepad.com/

We also sold graphic designer Rex Ray's prints at Therapy. Two of which hang in my house to this day. His bright colors, mixed textures, and simple shapes have stuck with me all this time and inspire my work. When he passed away recently, many artists came forward to recognize him as a major inspiration to their work.

Image from: http://www.californiahomedesign.com/

Swoon is an important role model for me, not only because her designs are incredible, but because her work is far reaching, feminist, humanistic, and accessible to the public.  I had a friend who I would go wheat pasting with, in Swoon fashion.  We pasted painted poppies to a derelict building in SF's lower Haight one night.
Image from littlelondonobservationist.wordpress.com

More recently I discovered, Marisa Mason jewelry on a trip to Alley 49 and Temascal Alley in Oakland, when I visited her stunning shop and workspace.  I love how she mixes materials like leather, stone, and metals.  She marries her workshop and a storefront gloriously, a maker's dream come to life (below).
                       
Image from http://www.timeout.com/san-francisco/shopping/marisa-mason

Another Oakland artist, Diva of Linea Carta, has inspired me with her playful designs and unique calligraphy.  Her work pushes me to express my authentic self and try new things.  I stamped my first fabric after seeing her work on display at the Handcraft Studio School in Emeryville, CA.

makeup bag
Image from: https://www.etsy.com/shop/lineacarta

I have recently, as you know if you follow my work, started ceramics.  Cathy Terepocki was a huge influence when I started taking classes.  I found her work on Instagram, and became obsessed with the simplicity of her shapes matched with the fine details of the prints on her pots.  I have focused heavily on simple shapes like the cylinder, as a beginning potter, feeling fine (and prideful) about that because of Cathy's pots.

Image from http://newcraftcoalition.com


* * *

I am inspired every day by someone new.  Its so exciting to be part of a community of talented crafters and artists.  I hope others will share who they are inspired by.  

No comments:

Post a Comment