Sunday, February 22, 2015

Moon Phase Stamps

Happy Sunday! We've just begun a new moon...what perfect timing for this project! Enjoy!


I started with a cardboard circle, speedy-cut rubber  and a Speedball carver. I traced moon phase shapes onto the rubber with pencil using the cardboard circle cutout.
After I finished tracing onto the rubber I carved away.  *Hint: I learned useful carving techniques from the book Carve Stamp Play by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer.
Next I did a test print with a regular stamp pad,  I do this to see if there are parts of the stamps I need to adjust (learned this in the book!)
Once I was happy with the stamps, I got out the block printing ink and roller.  Usually I would go for a solid shape, but I thought the unevenness of the ink was a more honest moon image so I opted for it.

I made this poster for fun, and to try the stamps with the block print ink. I also used this as a chance to practice lettering with a brush pen.
                      
I then made a card that I will sell at my table at the next Oakland First Friday with other stamped cards I've made.  I love the brown paper and envelopes.  I usually cut and fold my own card stock, but I found this card stock all ready to go at Michaels and couldn't resist. 

Stay tuned I'll be making a tote bag with these stamps this week! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment